Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hard things.

School is back in full stress swing.  I can already tell this semester is going to be one of the biggest tests for myself.  I realize last year, my instructor really gave us the information we needed to know.  This year, not so much.

This year I'm expected to be a grown up.  (GASP!)  This year, my instructor has promised to take us from incompetent nursing students to an actual, real, live nurse.  She is making us work and learn on our own.  She is directing us, but not handing it to us.

I like this.  I think it will make me appreciate myself and my intellect a little more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm scared to death!  But this is going to push me to become a better nurse.

I was thinking about that in regards to weight loss.  Wouldn't it be so much easier if someone handed us the magic scale that absorbed all our weight?  Wouldn't it help to take away a lot of stress, a lot of tears?  But in the end, would we appreciate it as much?  Or would we take it for granted, and maybe even let ourselves get back to where we were before?

I think when we have to push ourselves, when we have to work our asses off for something we really want (whether it's school, weight, a relationship, a race) THAT is when we "get it."  That is when the reward is so delicious!

Sure, it would be easier if someone handed me a nursing license today and said have at it.  But you know what...I wouldn't have the knowledge I need to be a great nurse.  Losing weight is the same way!  If you don't take the journey...every blasted step of the journey...you won't have the knowledge to keep your lifestyle healthy!

So while the easy way out sounds easy...really, it's just full of disappointment and regret.  Don't sell yourself short.  Put in the work for whatever it is you REALLY want.  Push yourself further when you want to give up, because trust me...there are MANY days I want to give up.

Learn this:  giving up is the easy decision!  We are each so much stronger.  You don't give up when it gets hard!  That should be a lesson we all learned in Kindergarten!  When it gets hard, well that is when we grow the most!  That is when we learn the most.  (I must be learning a LOT lately from all the hard.)

So take your weight loss (or your relationship, or your schooling, or anything else) and look it square in the face and have the courage to do hard things!

I promise, you won't regret it.  You may cry.  You may curse.  You may get frustrated while you are learning along the journey.  But I promise, in the end, you will NEVER regret finding the courage to do hard things!!

Watch this video to learn the importance of NEVER underestimating what you can accomplish when you believe in yourself!  (Thanks Mallory!)


And NEVER, EVER, EVER GIVE UP!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! It's so easy for me to say "screw it" and go back to my old ways, and it's a battle every minute to not give up and let my weight defeat me. What I need to remember is those moments when I DON'T give up are what's making me stronger, and a better person overall. That video made me cry!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...