Thursday, August 16, 2012

Funny.

Want to know what's funny?

A year ago I was almost at the EXACT same point I am now.  I think I'm going to have a race with myself and beat out last year's Alisha...

In other news.

Some have emailed me asking specifically what I've been doing.  Let me lay out the last month or so (you know, from when I got RE-serious.)

July 2nd I started the 10K Runner app.  It literally takes you from the couch (or doing nothing) to running a 5K in 8 weeks, and a 10K in 14 weeks.

When I started on July 2nd the app had me run 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes (rinse and repeat 6 times).

IT SUCKED!  I wanted to die.  I made the mistake of looking ahead in the app and wondered how in the hell I was ever going to be able to run 20 min non-stop....let alone a full 5K or 10K!

My legs hurt.  My chest hurt.  My knees hurt.  My head kept trying to talk me out of finishing the running intervals.

But.  BUT.  I made a commitment when I bought this app that I was going to be a good student.  And a good student I know how to be!  I decided no matter how slow I had to run the running intervals, I would not stop until the app told me to walk.  And believe me, there were days I was doing the fat-man shuffle.  (You know the one, where people are walking faster than you are shuffle-running.)

Sadly, I didn't keep track of my pace that first week.  I did however start tracking it the second week.  (So I can only imagine how slow the first week was!)  July 9th was the first day I recorded my pace...a pathetically SLOW 15:44 minute/mile.

I would literally have to talk myself through my runs.  (Yes, out loud!)  My kids heard me on the treadmill saying, "Come on Alisha.  You are not a quitter.  You can finish this.  DO NOT STOP RUNNING."

And you know what?  I didn't quit.  Not once have I shorted one of the run intervals!  Not once.  (Mainly, because I know if I let myself quit once...I will let myself do it again.)

Over the last month I have watched my endurance grow.  I have been scared at the beginning of a week when I've seen the runs planned.  But each time, I just put my head down and think "You will be SO PROUD of yourself when you are done."  And each time I finish, that is exactly how I feel!

Yesterday I ran a 10:24 min/mile.  I have shaved over 5 minutes off my pace!  I am right on track with the program to finish my 5K on August 25th.

So, here's the fun part.  Over this same amount of time, I checked to see what my weight did...
I started on July 3rd at 184.9.
Yesterday (August 15th) I was at 172.6.

That is 12.3 POUNDS in 7 weeks.  Not too shabby.

I'd love it if in another 7 weeks (when I am about ready to run a 10K) I am down another 12.3 pounds...that would put me almost in the 150's!

Week to week has been hard.  I'm not going to lie.  There have been times I've questioned if what I'm doing even is making a difference!  There have been moments I've been ticked off at my scale.  Moments I've felt like throwing in the towel because IT IS easier to just sit on the couch, it IS easier to mindlessly stuff my face of food.  But I think where I'd be if I had given into those fat girl thoughts!  If I had not held myself accountable over the last 7 weeks, I know I'd be in the 180's...maybe even higher!

Weight loss is not tricky people.

Yes, it's frustrating.  It's HARD!  Damn hard!  It's exhausting.  But it is not tricky.

Sure, some weeks you don't lose what you hope to lose.  But eventually your work pays off if you just keep swimming!  (Can I get an amen?)

No, really.  It takes a lot of effort to make smart food choices.  It takes a lot of determination to "close the kitchen" when the meals are done.  It takes determination to get up and move.

Those are the secrets.  If you really want to lose weight...if you really want to get healthy in your life...you have to hold yourself accountable.  No one else can do it for you.  No one can make you go for a walk/run, no one can stop you from eating crappy food.  No one can limit your portions.

Only you can do it.

And I know you can.  If I can do this, I know every single person reading this can!

Hold yourself accountable.  DO NOT LET YOURSELF MAKE EXCUSES!

Excuses are for sissys!

Where do you want to be in 7 weeks?  If you can look in the mirror and truly be happy with where you are at now, fantastic!  But chances are, if you are reading this, there is something you would like to change.  So step on that scale, take those measurements.  Decide to hold yourself accountable for the next 7 weeks.  Dare to think that you too could see some great results if you put in a little extra effort each day!

You deserve it!  Every single person deserves to feel the amazing power our bodies have within them.  Find the strength to make today the day you start becoming a better you!

1 comment:

  1. great job! Im doing the C25K right now. Running is huge in getting the pounds to fall off! Great post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...