Saturday, December 22, 2012

Feeling great!

My plan for today's run was to go 5 miles...but I hoped for more like 7.  I took it easy.  I started slow.  I listened to what my body was saying.  I walked when I needed to walk.  I ran when I was feeling good.

The first 5 miles flew by and I was feeling great.  Cold, but great.  Once I hit between mile 7 and 8 the wind was blowing so hard.  I was freezing.  I thought about giving up.  I mean, after all...I had hit my 7.  But I knew my body felt good, so I pushed on through the weather.

I took water with me this time.  I didn't want to get dehydrated.  It helped.  I ate my sports beans again.  That also helped.

By the time I hit mile 9 I was feeling great.  It had even warmed up (now that the wind was on my back, rather than blowing into my face).

I ended up going 10 miles in 2:02.  (average pace 12:13 min/mile)  Not too shabby considering my last long run (9 miles) was on November 30th.  3 weeks ago!  Between then and now, I've tried to get out on a few runs but have felt so lousy that most times it didn't happen.  So to be able to go 10 miles AND feel great doing it....HUGE BLESSING!  (Did I mention that today I feel better than I have in weeks?!?)

A while back I talked about pushing for a sub-2 hour half marathon.  Just for your information....THAT IS NOT HAPPENING!  I'll be happy to finish in 2:45, and I mean it when I say I'll be happy!  You see, I have re-evaluated my priorities.  And right now my priority is to take it easy, don't get injured....but most importantly:  LISTEN TO MY BODY!

I want to complete this half marathon and feel great crossing the finish line.  I want to finish it and not strain my body in any way.  And as long as I'm on track to do that, I'll feel successful no matter what my time ends up being.

One day, when I'm able, I'll focus more on the time.  But this time, I'm all about focusing on how I feel...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...